Return to home

What paperwork do I need to sell my house?

You’re ready to put your home on the market, that’s amazing! We know how exciting your next chapter can be, but you’ll have a lot to sort out before moving on.

From finding an estate agent and conveyancer to organising viewings and valuations. And then there’s the paperwork. You’ll need to provide some evidence when you’re selling your property, like proof of ownership, safety certificates, ID and more.

Let’s break down all the paperwork and documents you’re likely going to need when selling your home here. Let’s get into it.


Proof of identity

Verifying your identity is an important step when selling your home. Hopefully, you’ll have proof of your identity handy, but if you don’t have any form of ID, you’re going to need to get one. The most accepted forms of ID include a passport or driving licence.

Estate agents, legal representatives (conveyancers or solicitors) and mortgage lenders are all going to need to confirm your identity to prevent offences such as money laundering and fraud.

You’ll need to provide copies of your ID like a passport or driver’s licence. Proof of address is also typically needed, such as a utility bill in your name.

Footstool And Laptop

Title deeds

Another key document you’ll need when selling a home is the title deed, which proves you’re the legal owner of the property.

If you can’t find it, check with your mortgage lender first, to see if they’re holding onto it for safekeeping. Your conveyancer or solicitor who handled the initial purchase is also another good place to check.

Also, your current conveyancer or solicitor will need to obtain official deeds from the Land Registry anyway on your behalf, so you shouldn’t have an issue at all.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Before listing your home for sale, you’ll need an EPC – it’s a legal requirement to provide this. But if you don’t have one it’s no issue, getting an EPC is straightforward. Your estate agent will almost always be there to support you here.

If you’ve bought your home in the last 10 years, you may already have a valid EPC that can be used. You can check using the register’s EPC retrieval page, search for your property’s EPC by postcode.

If you need a new assessment because yours has expired, or perhaps you’ve made alterations to your home, an energy assessor will visit your home and provide an A to G rating on how efficient the home is, with A being the most efficient. This helps buyers understand the costs of running the property before purchasing. You can search for an accredited energy assessor here.

If a property is listed without a valid EPC, the seller and agent could face fines of up to £5,000. We’d recommend avoiding this by getting an accredited domestic energy assessor to come and assess your home.

The assessor can also recommend tips for improvements to make your home greener. While a higher rating is obviously ideal, don’t stress too much if your home gets a lower grade. There are always improvements to be made, some buyers will value other characteristics over its EPC rating.

Property Information Form (TA6)

Once you’ve agreed to sell your home, it’s time to fill out the TA6 form, also called the property information form. This provides key details about your home to potential buyers so they can make an informed decision.

The form covers things like:

  • Property boundaries
  • Any disputes/complaints
  • Renovations and alterations
  • Warranties and protections against things like damp
  • Insurance information
  • Environmental factors like flood risk and Japanese knotweed
  • Rights and agreements
  • Parking arrangements like driveways, garages, shared driveways etc.
  • Fees paid to management companies, cost and frequency
  • Who occupies the property
  • Utility connections like gas, electric and water

Find an example of the TA6 here.

The TA6 helps paint a full picture of your property for buyers. It’s straightforward to fill out, but if you need support, talk to your conveyancer.

Leasehold documents (TA7)

If you’re selling a leasehold home, you’ll need to fill out a TA7 form, the TA7 will supply information about the leasehold of the property, including essential information for any buyer.

The TA7 summarises key details about the lease for potential buyers, like:

  • Services charges
  • Ground rent amount
  • Planned major repairs
  • Building insurance policy information
  • Details of any management company formed by tenants
  • Asbestos surveys
  • External wall fire safety reviews

Find an example TA7 form here.

Similarly to the other TA forms, it’s your job as the seller to fill this out, but if you need some guidance talk to your estate agent or conveyancer.

Fittings and contents form (TA10)

Selling a home means deciding what stays in that home and what goes with you. The TA10 fittings and contents form help make this clear for buyers.

First, understand the difference between fixtures (like installed kitchens, flooring, and built-ins) and fittings (removable items like furniture and curtains). The TA10 outlines what fixtures and fittings will be included or excluded from the sale.

Here’s what the form covers:

  • Appliances like boilers and heating systems
  • Kitchen – notes which appliances and cabinets stay
  • Bathroom – shower, mirrors, rails etc.
  • Carpets – fitted carpets etc.
  • Curtains – curtains, curtain rails, blinds, etc.
  • Light fittings
  • Fitted units – like fitted cupboards or shelves
  • Outdoor space – patio furniture, sheds, etc.
  • Television and telephone – telephone receivers, television aerial, satellite dish, etc.
  • Stock of fuel – for burning appliances like log burners
  • Other items – anything included or excluded not stated above

Find a copy of the TA10 form here.

The TA10 form becomes legally binding once the sales contracts are swapped on exchange. It may feel like a tedious list, but this detail avoids buyer confusion down the road.

Be aware that you may need to enter negotiations with the buyer if you’re both after slightly different things. For example, the buyer may want you to take all the blinds and curtains/curtain rails when you didn’t plan to. Your estate agent or conveyancer can guide you if needed.

Do I need any certificates to sell my property?

Selling a home often means providing certificates that prove changes, surveys, or checks to your home were completed in line with regulations. Locating old records can be a headache, but there is no dodging some of them.

Although this can seem like a hassle, try to focus on it bringing you closer to handing over the keys and moving on to your next chapter.


FENSA certificates for windows and doors

When selling your home, you may need to provide a FENSA (the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme) certificate for any windows or doors you’ve had installed.

This certificate shows that whoever fitted your windows or doors followed the proper building regulations. It also means the work was registered with your local council, which is legally required.

These certificates should have been issued when your windows or doors were installed. If you have the certificates then you need to provide them to your property lawyer. If you have lost them then new copies can be obtained from FENSA who charge a small fee.

Gas safety certificate

Providing a current gas safety certificate is highly recommended, even though it is not legally required. Consider getting your gas appliances inspected annually – it can be lifesaving.

These check-ups detect potential gas leaks and carbon monoxide in pipes. Regular inspections give you and potential buyers peace of mind.

Only registered gas safety engineers can carry out these inspections.

Boiler safety certificate

A Gas Safety Record is the documentation that may be given to you by a gas engineer after they’ve done gas work at your property. The documentation provided will often depend on the type of work they’ve undertaken - be it a service or a safety check.

While all gas engineers are required by law to be on the Gas Safe Register, it’s not a legal requirement for them to provide Gas Safety Record documentation after they visit you. There’s one exception, and that’s if you’re a landlord.

Having this documentation gives you and potential buyers security that an essential system for heating and hot water is safe.

If you can’t locate the original certificates, you can request new ones from the Gas Safety Register’s record for a small fee.

Electrical Installation Certificate

You’ll need to provide an Electrical Installing Certificate or EIC to list a property on the market – it’s illegal to neglect this. The EIC proves any electrical work done meets safety regulations, giving you and the buyers peace of mind.

You’ll need to show a certificate that proves a registered electrician completed work. Including the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate and the EIC, or a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate confirming the work meets BS 7671 electrical safety standards.

If you’re missing an EIC you can check your local authority or the NICEIC website for a downloadable copy. Or you can contact the electrician who completed the work to certify respectively.

If needed, a registered electrician can redo the installation or perform an Electrical Installation Condition Report survey.

Planning permission for any major changes

Making major changes to your home like adding an extension requires planning permission – it’s an important legal process.

The standard timeline for a planning permission response is around 12 weeks, but your specific project could receive a response sooner or later.

If you skipped getting permission for an addition, then it is possible that within certain timescales the local authority could take enforcement action. This can make it difficult for buyers to get a mortgage, sometimes your property lawyer can help you get insurance to protect the buyer in these circumstances.

It’s wise to go through the proper planning channels before renovating to avoid headaches later. Your local authority will be able to guide you through the process.

To Do List

Material Information: Parts B & C

When listing a home for sale, an estate agent must provide “material information” – important details to help buyers make informed decisions. This avoids disappointment later if deal-breaking issues appear later down the line.

That's why the National Trading Standards introduced Parts B and C - to make sure more useful information is readily available much sooner.

While aimed at agents, sellers need to provide key property details to comply. Your agent will need to guide you through providing what’s needed.

Need to know more? Check out our guide on Material Information Parts A, B & C here.

Mortgage details

If you still have a mortgage on the property that you’re selling, you’ll need to provide mortgage details like your account details and remaining balance. Information on any extra loans or charges listed on the title deed is also required.

If old charges from previous lenders remain, your property lawyer contact them to get them removed. And if money is still owed, your property lawyer will pay it off with the sale funds so the buyer has no liability.

Your estate agent and conveyancer will be able to help you through this process.

Selling a home can involve a lot of paperwork, but staying organised and working with professionals like estate agents and conveyancers makes the process manageable. With preparation and patience, all the required documents and certificates are just small steps on the journey to your dream move.


Need a conveyancer for selling?

Whether you’re just selling or selling and buying a property, trust Eden as your conveyancer.

We take the stress out of the conveyancing process to make sure that you can focus on the exciting parts of your move. You’ll have access to our 24/7 online platform, MyEden and have your own dedicated property lawyer from start to finish.

No more jargon. No more stressful chasing. No unclear fees. Just simple, transparent conveyancing.

Get a quote form Eden